The name ‘Gritts’ comes from the word ‘Greets’, which was the local name for waste land.
Gritts Farm was created by Sir Christopher Sykes in 1795.
When put up for sale by the Sledmere Estate in 1919, the details were as follows:
Farm House: Entrance, Three Sitting Rooms, Kitchen, Scullery, Front and Back Stairs and Eight Bedrooms. Barn, Stable for 12 Horses, Granary, Cowhouses, Smithy, Three Covered Fold Yards, Boxes, Sheds and other Buildings. A pair of Cottages. known as “Paradise Cottages.” and the following Closes of Grass and Arable Land.
Tenant – Mr. Thomas Mudd.
|No. on Plan.||DESCRIPTION OR CULTIVATION.||Area (acres)|
|17||House and Homestead||3.310|
|150||Huggate Hill do.||2.170|
|9||Paradise Cottages and Gardens (a pair)||.631|
|20A||Hill End do.||3.326|