Also see www.manorfarmthixendale.co.uk
Manor Farm was created by Sir Christopher Sykes in 1795.
The present farmhouse was built in 1843, near the site of an earlier farmstead.
From the 1890s to the early 1900s, the Manor Farm Tenants were Cook and Taylor. This photo dates from the 1890s.
In this photo from around 1900 of woodcutting using a steam engine, Enoch Braithwaite can just be seen across the road at the blacksmith’s shop.
A Mr. Cook subsequently took over sole tenancy, until 1910 when it was taken on by Henry Braithwaite.
When put up for sale by the Sledmere Estate in 1919, the details were as follows:
Farm House: Entrance, Two Sitting Rooms, Kitchen, Scullery, Dairy. Cellars, Front and Back Stairs, and Seven Bedrooms. Barn, Stable for 19 Horses, Granary, Cowhouses, Boxes, Sheds, and other Buildings. A set of Wold Farm Buildings detached and the following closes of Grass and Arable Land.
Tenants – Mr. Robert Henry Braithwaite
|No. on Plan.||DESCRIPTION OR CULTIVATION.||Area (acres)|
|175||House and Homestead||1.732|
|192||Cow Wold Homestead||.297|
|162||South Wold Homestead||1.033|
|198||Vessey Pasture Dale||do.||17.214|
|186A||Town End Paddock||do.||.400|